Fremont, California (EastBayDaily) — The Christmas travel rush is nearly here and millions of holiday travelers will be taking to the skies once again. As most people know, the airlines traditionally hike their air fares during the peak holiday travel seasons.
Online business class travel site and travel experts Lets Fly Cheaper.com gathered the round trip costs of flights from ten of the nation’s busiest airports with departures to the Los Angeles area. They compared the cost using the peak holiday travel dates and included alternate dates as well as alternative airports within the L.A area. “There is a very significant difference on the days you choose to fly. Especially during the holidays, if you can, flying on Christmas Eve can save you hundreds of dollars” says Lets Fly Cheaper CEO, Ramon vanMeer.
The airfares were taken during the busiest, peak Christmas travel dates of December, 22nd to December, 26th. The alternate travel dates are taken from December, 24th to December, 17th. Lets Fly Cheaper conducted the research on November, 30th, 2012 using fares from airfare travel booking sites, Orbitz, Priceline and Expedia.
Dallas Forth Worth had the best nonstop airfare to LAX at $287.60 on American Airlines departing on Christmas Eve which is nearly half of the cost if the flight was booked during the peak dates. Newark, New Jersey’s Liberty International Airport and Washington Dulles offered the least amount of savings on holiday airfares during the study.
“We did this study to give the consumer and idea on comparing the price differential on particular travel dates. Flexibility on your travel date can save you money” says vanMeer.
Christmas Peak Departure and Return dates are DECEMBER 22ND TO DECEMBER 26TH Kennedy International Airport, NY to LAX – $ 890.59 on American Airlines Alternate departure and return dates of 12/24/2012 to 12/27/2012 -$ 605.60 on JetBlue
Newark Liberty International Airport to LAX – $877.60 on United and American Airlines Alternate departure and return dates of 12/24/2012 – 12/27/2012 – $719.60 on United
Boston Logan International Airport to LAX – $885.60 on JetBlue Alternate departure and return date of 12/24/2012 – 12/27/2012 – $564.60 on Virgin America
Washington Dulles International Airport to LAX – $692.60 on American Airlines Alternate departure and return dates of 12/24/2012 – 21/27/2012 – $617.60 on United
Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport to LAX – $672.60 on AirTran Alternate departure and return date of 12/24/2012 – 12/27/2012 – $454.60 on Delta Airlines
Miami International Airport to LAX – $687.60 on Delta Airlines Alternate departure and return date of 12/24/2012 – 12/27/2012 – $477.60 on Delta Airlines
Chicago O’Hare International Airport to LAX – $526.60 on Virgin America Alternate departure and return date of 12/24/2012 – 12/27/2012 -$369.60 on Spirit Airlines
Philadelphia International Airport to LAX on US Airways – $572.60 on U.S Airways and Virgin American Alternate departure and return date of 12/24/2012 – 12/27/2012 – $432.60 on U.S Airways
Dallas Fort Worth International Airport to LAX – $409.60 on American Airlines Alternate departure and return dates of 12/24/2012 – 12/27/2012 – $287.60 on American Airlines
Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport to LAX – $596.10 on United Airlines Alternate departure and return dates of 12/24/2012 – 12/27/2012 – $440.10 on United Airlines
Below is a complete list of the 10 major airports surveyed starting with the airport offering the lowest, nonstop LAX fare along with the carriers providing non-stop service. The dates surveyed were for travel on Christmas Eve.
1. Dallas Fort Worth/LAX American Airlines – 287.60 Virgin America – 409.60 United Airlines – 484.60
2. Chicago O’Hare/LAX Spirit Airlines – 369.60 American Airlines – 496.60 United Airlines – 459.60 Virgin America – 496.60
3. Philadelphia/LAX US Airways – 432.60 United Airlines – 467.60 Virgin America – 497.60
4. Houston Bush Intercontinental/LAX American Airlines – 440.10 United Airlines – 440.10
5. Atlanta/LAX Delta Airlines – 454.60 Air Tran/Southwest – 614.60
6. Miami/LAX Delta Airlines – 477.60 American Airlines – 602.60
7. Boston/LAX American Airlines – 480.60 United Airlines – 609.60 Virgin America – 564.60 jetBlue – 649.60
8. Washington Dulles/LAX United Airlines – 617.60 American Airlines – 692.60 Virgin America – 687.60
9. John F. Kennedy/LAX American Airlines – 681.00 United Airlines – 652.00 Alaska Airlines– 750.60 jetBlue – 605.60 Virgin America – 649.60 Delta Airlines – 694.00
10. Newark Liberty/LAX American Airlines – 968.60 United Airlines- 720.00
For more information on this research please go to: http://www.letsflycheaper.com/news/the-10-least-expensive-airfares-to-los-angeles-for-the-holidays.php
Lets Fly Cheaper