Berkeley, California (EastBayDaily) — Packing light isn't just about saving time or money—it's about having a great traveling lifestyle. Rick Steves—travel expert and author of three brand new, colorful, lightweight city guides to Barcelona, Florence, and Venice—shares his top tips for packing light while traveling.
1. Stick to a one bag limit: Rick’s self-imposed limit is 20 pounds in a 9" × 22" × 14" carry-on-size bag, which fits in an airplane's overhead bin. Wondering what exactly will fit in a bag that small? Check out Rick’s detailed packing list here.
2. Do a tourist test in town: Before flying to Europe, do a tourist test. Pack up completely, go into town, and practice being a tourist for an hour. Fully loaded, the goal is to be able to enjoy window-shopping. Can’t? Stagger home and thin things out.
3. Scrutinize: Spread everything out on the living room floor. Pick up each item one at a time and scrutinize it. Ask if the item is needed enough to justify carrying it around all summer.
4. When in doubt, leave it out: Don't pack for the worst-case scenario. Pack for the best-case scenario and simply buy something abroad to get out of any jams. Bring layers rather than taking a heavy coat. Think in terms of what can be left out—not what will be handy on the trip.
5. Pack light and bring the right guidebook: Whether traveling for three weeks or three months, pack exactly the same. Go casual, simple, and very light. Bring the right guidebook for your trip. Remember, there are two kinds of tourists—those who pack light and those who wish they had.
Say it out loud: "PACK LIGHT, PACK LIGHT, PACK LIGHT."
For more information, or to set up an interview with Rick Steves, please contact Eva Zimmerman at 510.809.3834 or at eva.zimmerman(at)perseusbooks(dot)com.
About Avalon Travel
Avalon Travel is the largest independent travel publisher based in the United States. Major series include Rick Steves, the top-selling European guidebook series in the US; Moon, with guides to more than 200 destinations around the world; and Road Trip USA. Based in Berkeley, California, Avalon is a member of the Perseus Books Group. For more information, avalontravel.com
About Rick Steves
Rick Steves is on a mission: to help make European travel accessible and meaningful for Americans. Since 1973, Steves has spent four months every year exploring Europe. He’s researched and written more than 50 travel guidebooks, writes and hosts the public television series Rick Steves’ Europe, and also produces and hosts the weekly public radio show Travel with Rick Steves. With the help of his hardworking staff at Europe Through the Back Door, Steves organizes and leads tours of Europe and offers an information-packed website, ricksteves.com. When not traveling through Europe, Steves lives in Edmonds, Washington.